Cannon Rees in 1944, the then Vicar of Wroughton suggested the setting up of a Gardeners’ Society, this was initiated in 1945 as the Wroughton Gardeners’ Society and Village Produce Association. With Cannon Rees as Chairman and a Membership of forty-six.
Competition had been strong even from the late eighteen hundreds within the Village to have the best vegetables or flowers and show them at the various fetes, feast days and celebrations. This continued with the new Gardeners’ Society.
In December 1946, it was decided that the name was not suitable and it was changed to the Wroughton and District Horticultural Society. In 1948 the Society became affiliated with The Royal Horticultural Society.
Cannon Rees was Chairman until 1956 when Frank Auger took over the Chairmanship. From the inception regular monthly meetings and shows during the year were held and these have flourished to the present day.
It was decided at the 1964 Annual General Meeting that the name of the Society be changed to the Wroughton and District Gardeners’ Society. The thought being that this may help to encourage new members.
In 1976 the Society became affiliated with the National Chrysanthemum Society and the National Dahlia Society. During this time a move had been made from the Church Hall to the Ellendune Community Centre, to accommodate the increase in Membership. In 1981 the Society became affiliated with the National Vegetable Society.
Reg Iles took over as Chairman in 1984. Entries and displays at shows have gained Silver and Gold awards over the years. Assistance has been given to start other clubs and societies together with helping local charities. There have been inter-society quiz nights and joint ventures with other Societies and Clubs in the area.
Jeff Bolton became Chairman in 1994 and retired from the post in 2013.